News: SMF - Just Installed!
May 20, 2018, 07:04:02 AM

Author Topic: Do Barrels Truly Affect Accuracy???  (Read 6880 times)

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do Barrels Truly Affect Accuracy???
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
"The Sword is only as good as the Swordsman wielding it. The Swordsman is only good as the sharpness of his blade"

Food for thought.

Shockman

I like this guy!! First the sweet guns, then the sweet sayings!!

Tick {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
When you talk about underboring and breaks. I underbored with a .679 freak insert on my Epiphany until i got the Ego, and i maybe broke 5-6 out of each case.
5-6 barrel breaks out of a case would make for a very unhappy day for me!! 

Here's my take on the barrel decisions:

Barrel length:
*The user is probably the biggest factor in barrel lengths.  It depends on how you look down the gun. 
*Tests may show that accuracy is not affected by barrel length, but I have found that the increased length tends to allow for more debris (dust/dirt/moisture/paint) to stick to the inside of the barrel.  It seems to me that anything on the inside of the longer barrels tends to induce a spin on the ball that gives you drifters at long ranges.  For example: my 18" dye boomstick is very accurate at short and mid ranges however longer shots often deflect in mid air unlike shots from my shorter 14" ultralight and all american which tend to stay straight for long distances.  BTW, this is purely opinion based and for 3 different barrels.

Barrel Diameter:
*Barrel diameter is so important.  paint is getting smaller all the time and the smaller paint tends to work it's way past detents and cause roll outs, double feeds, and partial double feeds which result in chopping paint.  As you can tell, I'm not a fan of overboring (due to the rollouts).  I prefer a bore match or slight underbore to my barres.  The danger to underboring to much is barrel breaks, and that can be a killer, especially in hot humid environments like Oklahoma, California, and Nebraska in the mid summer.  Even if barrel breaks are rare, I can't stand them.  They simply do NOT shoot out, and a barrel must be clean to get  the acuracy that I want.  I have a .684 microshot for my M98.  I love it, especially in the winter, but it does not do well in the summer.  The paint swells and I get breaks in the barrel or some really wild shots due to the excess friction.  I am set on the .687 barrel size for my new Lapco barrel.

Porting:
It seems to me that more porting tends to make the barrel quieter, but it also makes it harder to clean and gives more areas for debris to get into the barrel.  It can result in wild shots particularly if you've broken paint in the barrel earlier in the day, or as Elisa from Lapco told me, if you are leaning into an inflatable bunker covering porting on one side of the barrel (not a problem for us).  I'm very undecided on what I want for porting in a barrel

Finish:
I like the look of the beadblasted black better, but I think that they tend to show scratches easier than a polished finish. 

One piece vs. Two piece
I've never been a fan of 2 piece barrels because they unscrew in half rather than at the gun a lot of the time and it seems to me like the seem would catch paint and break it.  Obviously the breaking problem is not the case, since they are huge in the industry, so I am going to give the 2 piece snapshot a try.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »
So what actually causes barrel breaks?

Bore Size?
Bad Paint?
Loading malfunction?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z2eZrw7FLw&feature=channel
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
Ah, thats the golden question Jake. When you see a spray of paint come out the end of your barrel, you don't know for sure what exactly happened. It could have been a bad ball, already had a weak spot. You could have chopped, or double feeded or something.

And to Tim, 5-6 breaks per case was just a number i threw out, i don't remember real numbers.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
I would have to say there is such thing as a pure barrel break. Simply because i have broken a ball, taken off my barrel and looked down the barrel. The break ONLY occurred (more than once too) a little after the porting. I am thinking that the ball can break on porting and thus cause a "pure barrel break." but rest assured i am getting closer to deciding what i will get.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Well, what they say makes sense. The other day at Tims we only broke paint when we were shooting fast with the Phenom and Mag, but we also broke when we were shooting fast with the Nightkast, because its the devil

Cowboy

• Legend
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dmorganpaintball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
i went through 3 cases of highend (Ultra Evil) paint through an underbored barrel two sundays ago and broke zero. The weekend before that i was using my alias and shot the same paint, same barrel with the same results. One of the other guys was using an ego running noteably higher lpr pressure (faster, more violent bolt movements) and was gettin all sorts of barrel breaks. Both my alias and marq have pillows on their bolts, and both run at a lower pressure. TO ME this may have something to do with why some guns break more paint than others, at least with super brittle paint

Tick {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
i went through 3 cases of highend (Ultra Evil) paint through an underbored barrel two sundays ago and broke zero. The weekend before that i was using my alias and shot the same paint, same barrel with the same results. One of the other guys was using an ego running noteably higher lpr pressure (faster, more violent bolt movements) and was gettin all sorts of barrel breaks. Both my alias and marq have pillows on their bolts, and both run at a lower pressure. TO ME this may have something to do with why some guns break more paint than others, at least with super brittle paint
This is a different issue that can cause the same problems (breaks that are only noticed in the barrel)  Planet eclipse has a great video discussing their bolt technologies and why they changed from the cure 2 bolt to the cure 3 bolt (I don't know if that's even the right name for it).  Sorry I don't know where the video is and I don't have time to look it up but it showed the second ball in the ball stack (the one above the ball being fired) getting clipped in the feed neck by the bolt when it fires the ball below it.  The  broken ball would then fall into the breach and be fired on the next shot.  Depending on the severity of the break, paint can show up in the feed neck, in the breach or in the barrel.  It was found that if the detents allow the ball to roll forward or the bolt allows it to go back, the second ball in stack drops into he path of the bolt and was more likely to be chopped/clipped by the bolt. 

That being said, paint can break in the barrel, especially if it is brittle or underbored too much.  Case in point, have you ever taken the hopper off and shot a ball that broke.  I have

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 01:56:23 AM »
Now ima try to be as PC as possible here. for as many times as PE has came out with a Cure bolt it has yet to CURE anything, there are 3 bolts that in my experience chop the same amount as the stock bolts. The only bolts ive seen for an ego that do anything is the Hush bolt from Tech T. Ive seen the video you speak of, its on youtube, i cant remember the name either. as for the ball moving in the breech that happens on alot of guns, my Bob Longs however have adjustable ram caps where you can set the depth of your bolt thus eliminating any and all of those type of issues.

The thing with the guys ego and my bob longs was that they were bored the same size, shooting the same speed 280 +/- a couple and paint from the same case, running the same hoppers setup similarly. we could argue the points of what gun has better what (but i do believe the intimidator series will come out on top, or the marq) but the gun has no real affect on accuracy past the point of it being consistant and the ball bein placed in the same spot when the air is relased from the valve. An example? Take an autococker, put a ball in, let the ball roll forward then pull the trigger, see where it hits. Load a second ball and immediatly pull the trigger. the ball will hit in a different place due to different amounts of air propelling the ball at different times. but once its in the barrel, its the barrels job.

i have had positive experiences with straight rifled barrels (not spiral rifled like in firearms). In my experience they take 99% of the spin off the ball, this IMO helps to keep imperfections in the ball (dimples, the seam...) from catching wind and sending it in an odd direction

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 02:12:19 AM »
The only way I could see rifling affecting a paintball is if you did some serious underboring.  Then, MAYBE, the ball would be forced to grip the grooves and actually be affected by the rifling. Otherwise, rifling does nothing. The balls do not engage the rifling. However, I think serious underboring with rifling might also translate into a lot of breaks.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »
the ones i have arent built the same was as you and i know rifling. there arent equal sized lands and grooves and its not smooth. in my cci tru flight (love it, its old, but works great) the "rifling" is nothing more than a roughed up area going straight down. and for its time it was a great underbore at .684, but that was when paint actually measured out at .689

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 02:23:02 AM »
The balls do not engage the rifling.

Never heard that before. Only heard that the fill wouldn't spin with the spiral rifling, so it was pointless. If you could get a straight rifle and keep the ball from spinning at all, wouldn't that reduce vortex shredding (that or localize it) so it does effect the accuracy?
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »
shameless plug (cmi tru flights on sale on ansgear.com for like 10-15 bux depending on the size)

ive used the straight rifled ones on my spyders forever... which reminds me, i need to buy eyes for my imagine, and a new tboard... lol

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
We are sponsored by lapco, and from what i hear, they have SICK barels
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....