News: SMF - Just Installed!
October 19, 2017, 04:08:08 AM

Author Topic: Friday Mornings---Men Gather  (Read 462 times)

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Friday Mornings---Men Gather
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »
Just finished another good morning. Nate, Tabor, Koss and myself worked a little kettle bell action then rolled on the mats. Seth had us work through some different submissions (kamura, americana, rear naked choke, etc.) then we did some grappling/sparring.
Keeper of the Old Code.

SHOCKMAN {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Team Ronin Online
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
Just finished another good morning. Nate, Tabor, Koss and myself worked a little kettle bell action then rolled on the mats. Seth had us work through some different submissions (kamura, americana, rear naked choke, etc.) then we did some grappling/sparring.

Cool!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
[/ur

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »
Another good morning. Nate, Nick and I.

Started off working on sprawling and defending against takedowns. Spent most of the day rotating between attack aND defense, transitioning to submissions, control, or just attaining the ability to break away and retreat. We amped it up a little and did scenarios with the drill. This included 2 v 1s with 2 attackers.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Wetjen Illustration & Design
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
It was legit. My neck, arms, knee and feet received a LOT of good "experience."

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 09:16:34 PM »
We boxed today. Nate, Nick and I. We turned it up a little with the sparring. Bringing a little more power with our shots and guys felt it a few times. In the words of one, "this is great, because prior to these I have never been punched in the face." There is something to that. Do you really know yourself fully? Do you know how you would respond taking a shot to the face? Or how you would respond when someone else is trying to inflict their will upon you? When it's not just a punching bag in front of you, or an idea in your head, but flesh and blood with a creative mind is throwing shots at you. Can you block, move, defend, counter, can you take it and overcome it, or if it ever happened would you just crumple in the moment? And if so...at the expense of who? Is anyone else counting on you in life? A lot more than just "punching" is taking place Friday mornings.

We are finding out a little more about ourselves and becoming better for it every week.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:14:17 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

Woody {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
That's awesome! I wish I could participate but trains need to be moved.
Mike Phillips: "Pound for pound - Bob Long Vice, one of the best guns on the market...ever! This gun is absolutely absurd."

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
This morning we incorporated strikes, takedowns, and grappling. Starting to bring it together a little bit. We strapped on boxing gloves and headgear, and went at it about half speed. Maybe little more. If an opening presented itself, a guy would shoot for a takedown in the middle of sparring. One guy is trying to fight it off, the one who shot is trying to complete his attempt and take the man to the ground. Once on the ground, we did have big ole' boxing gloves on, so we couldn't really grab, but we could still move to different body controls, work a few submissions, and more importantly, strikes were an option on the ground. This added a new element to the morning. For example, Nate had Nick in a tricky spot with his head in between Nate's legs, all of a sudden Nick starts delivering shots to Nate's rib cage, forcing Nate to move, thus giving Nick an opportunity to slip out, go from side control to pulling a rear naked on Nate.  Heck, another time I took Nate to the ground but he squirmed out I believe. He was was still on his back, and I was on my knees or crouching trying to regain position on him. As I'm doing this, Nate starts throwing punches and popping me right in the head. I was feeling them too. It forced me to back off my usual grapple transition and try to go at it differently. Adding striking to grappling changes the game ten fold, and makes it more realistic to encounters in the real world. It was another enlightening morning. That said, we will definitely have more days of the mma package, but it's not something we will do every week. Reason #1, most guys don't like getting punched in the head on a weekly basis, and #2, it's good to bring the full picture into focus at times, see where we are going, and then break it back down and focus on specifics.

One of the training points this led to today was "what the heck do I do when someone has full mount on me and is raining down shots?" We worked one of the techniques to try and change the situation (hip thrust and roll).

Mr. Phoenix joined us today as well. It was good having another Muddy jumping in. He hadn't done this before so he focused on the fundamentals of body transitions. Understanding guard, side control and full mount.

It would be great to get some more guys out with us. I'm seeing a lot of growth. Nate made a big jump today in my mind. Neat to see that take place. It's also been good for my own critiques. I need to dip my face less in boxing and do a better job protecting my body. And loose weight, and build cardio, and etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:56:37 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »

From Friday.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:40:24 PM by Hoot {MWB} »

SHOCKMAN {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Team Ronin Online
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »
Good start gentlemen. It take times to over come fear of being hit in the face. Wish I had the time to play.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
[/ur

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
uGH!!!! I wanna do this guys!!! Any chance of a tues/weds/third meeting? Maybe at night?

Phoenix {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
We should do refresher courses after Danny's in the parking lot. How long do you think that would last?

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
uGH!!!! I wanna do this guys!!! Any chance of a tues/weds/third meeting? Maybe at night?

That's up to big Nate dog right now. My garage is tore up from electrical work, and cold weather is coming, so we've moved to Nate's house (video was shot from his house). So it depends on his schedule and what not.

I know a few guys asked about Sat mornings too.
Keeper of the Old Code.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »
I am really liking this.

I will be there tomorrow.I am very today and haven't done anything for..... Years. I am still, however, excited.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Right now I won't commit to every Saturday. That's the only day I get to spend any time together with the kids and Rachel at the same time. I would definitely be down for once a month and maybe do some breakfast afterward. Bring the kids and wives over and they can hang or roll too. Maybe look at October 28th at 8am for a little early Hoot bday bash?

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
Once a month for Saturdays would be cool. If that happens, those asking for Sats better show up! Would love to see more of us rolling.

This morning, as posted above, Alpha joined us. So we had myself, Tabor, Wetjen and Clinch.

Focused on the ground game today. Primarily transitioning to control points (guard, side control, top mount). Started by watching little bit of the video above, asking the guys why they did certain things, what were they thinking in particular moments, then going from there. For example, in our sparring video, around the 3:30 mark, Nate goes from potential guillotine on Nick, to reaching over him and holding an arm and leg. Not much happens and he ends up getting rolled over by Nick and eventually submitted. Watching that and breaking down the thoughts, Nate explained he was thinking try to go for a cradle on Nick, but wasn't real sure what he should be looking for. So we honed in on the principle of "GET TO YOUR CONTROL POINTS." Instead of messing with a cradle over the top of Nick, that doesn't do much for you, simply spin and take rear mount on Nick. From there rain down shots on the sides of his head or if Nick sprawls forward, you ride him down and have rear mount, in position for a rear naked choke. The point: when we're not sure what to do or where to go, focus on getting to a control point.

This principle was used all the time for me on the force. You're rarely trying to look for a submission in a street fight (it does happen sometimes). But more often than not, our focus was control. Get them down, get on them, lock em up. Wait for the cavalry. If you're in a 1v1, then all out fight is more inclined to be happening. But for most of our circumstances, dealing with angry people in a crowd, someone comes into a school, church or business raging out,  our focus is to control them. Not to roll around hoping a submission takes shape. Work to those control points, lock it down....and if need be work a submission. Good learning points for us today.

We spent a decent amount of time getting out from having someone top mounted on us. Working on thrusting the hips up, making a bridge with our back, pushing with the arms at key points to shift the top opponents weight to the side, and quickly whipping our hips sideways and kicking out our legs, or reversing the mount and immediately flipping into their guard.

The guys worked today. Taylor and I went at it at the end, and Nick and Nate threw down (grappling). Lot of back and forth between them. Guys did great jobs implementing the hip toss and roll during sparring. Lot of sweat spilt by us. Good workout.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:38:05 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.