News: SMF - Just Installed!
July 18, 2018, 01:19:53 PM

Author Topic: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)  (Read 5718 times)

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
I learned lots that day and continue to analyze.

I do not proactively protect my head. This is something I have to attend to before the activity even starts. The head is the king, you have to use all your resources to protect it. This protection starts right away and Never stops.

I think it sounds from having wrestling bouts with brothers because we didn't choke out and the like.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

SHOCKMAN {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Team Ronin Online
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
That awesome to watch.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
[/ur

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2018, 08:05:40 AM »
That awesome to watch.

Haha... my rubber head was proven again.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »
We will be back at it tomorrow morning fellas. 7am. Hope to see you there.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
Roster today: Wetch, Dingle and Hoot

Warmed up with leg kicks, knees and elbows. Then spent time working on the rear naked choke, focusing on several key points: good head lock, getting our hooks in with our legs, and then bridging with our hips. Alternatively, we worked on escaping the rear naked choke as well. Tuck the chin, get some fingers/hands to start prying their forearm off of your neck, if enough separation, twist your hips and force your head sharply to the left or right, disrupting their choke hold on you. If unable to get separation with fingers of hands, try to push one of their hook legs off and then twist out. OR, bridge yourself and push your head back into theirs, elevating your rear end above them, applying pressure back into the person choking to aid in getting enough separation to twist out.

After these teaching points, Nate and Nick strapped on the head gear and MMA gloves and went at it. Light punching...but punching was definitely allowed. It forces you to change the game plan. You can't just grapple and perform a move without the risk of getting jacked. It changes the game. They did 1 minute rounds and went at it 5 or so times. By the end, there was some huffing and puffing. EXCELLENT workout.

Really proud of these two. The progressions they are making once the fight ensues are a considerable jump from where they were 4 months ago.

Muddy....come join us on Friday mornings.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Woody {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
I would enjoy coming sometime, just waiting on work to slow down enough to let that happen.
Mike Phillips: "Pound for pound - Bob Long Vice, one of the best guns on the market...ever! This gun is absolutely absurd."

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:47 PM »
We on this Friday?

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
We on this Friday?

Yep. 7am at Nate's house.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »
Sweet. See you there

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:00 AM »
Attendees today: myself, Wetch, Nick. The usual 3. I heard Koss made it to the driveway but couldn't get up it so he went home. Seth, next time bro, just walk up the driveway. ;) I think Nate filled you on the paved route too. That should help on a slick day.

We warmed up with leg kicks, knees and elbows. With knees, focused on crunching that upper torso and slamming our arms/shoulders down as our knee strikes up. Generates more power. With the elbows, focused on hip rotation a moment before we throw the elbow. Generates more power.

The bulk of the day was spent doing a pretty fun drill. One man had boxing gloves and the other man had nothing. The boxer could throw light punches and the unarmed man's goal to complete a successful takedown of the boxer...and then do a little ground work sometimes. The boxer would try to avoid being taken down. The goal: try to take someone to the ground while being punched...or slip the punch and do it. We can work on our jit and wrestling and get really good at it...but being punched adds an entirely new dynamic. Things that worked before no longer work. Or moves you used to attempt without hesitation now cause you to pause or avoid them all together...because you realize how much it opens you up to eating a shot. For me, I noticed how much tighter I was to an opponent once I got them to the ground. Without punches, I will sit a bit higher on them, especially in side control, and watch or observe their movements. With punching allowed, I raised my head far less and instead, felt my moves rather them see them.

For the final 15 minutes of the day, we worked on being attacked from behind. One guy would just stand, looking at his phone or being distracted, while another guy would come up behind him and try various attacks to take him down (no punches). Obviously the unaware man is at a huge disadvantage. But that is the point of the drill. If you are attacked from behind, how do you respond? Sometimes guys would successfully shake off or fight off the attacker. Usually the attacker won. We then did a little 2v1 with 2 attackers from different angles.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
Yeah, the roads were still a little sketchy. Decided not to press my luck. The weather looks like its going to warm up the next few days though, so that shouldn't be a factor next time. ;)

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »
Attendees today: Wetch, Koss, Will and myself.

Warmed up with kicks, knees, and elbows. Everyone is starting to throw harder. Power increasing on strikes.

Spent a little time working on an armpit/one leg dump. While facing an opponent, you slip in under one of his armpits with your head past his body, but pressed tight against it. For example, my right shoulder would be in Nate's right armpit, with my head pressed against the edge of his back. If I'm attacking from this side, my right arm wraps around his waist, while my left arm drops down and wraps around his right leg. I lift his right leg up, putting him off balance, and drive him to my right, taking him to the ground. Obviously everything reversed for other side approach.

After rotating through this technique we repeated our drill from last week. One guy gloves up, the other has nothing. Boxer is throwing punches (not real hard, but enough to let the guy feel it with some consequence) and avoiding being taken down. Unarmed is trying to take boxer down. Even once a take down is successful, we generally let the guys roll a bit more on the ground, so the attacker can feel punches while he is trying to work.

Finally, we did 1 minute grappling scrims, starting on our knees.

I must add....its getting harder for me to pull off moves against these guys. It used to be easy. Now my attempts are getting stuffed, submissions blocked, and I have to change course. Good growth.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:44:06 AM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
Great session this morning guys. Thanks to all for being great partners! Looking forward to the next one.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
JOCKO! You're going to get Nate fired up dropping pictures like that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:53:07 AM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
JOCKO! You're going to get Nate fired up dropping pictures like that.

That’s the idea!