News: SMF - Just Installed!
December 13, 2018, 02:20:27 PM

Author Topic: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)  (Read 9200 times)

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Good half hour spent
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
Good half hour spent

I watched a little with Will and discussed a few things for him. What observations for yourself do you see Clinch?

I think this Friday we need to throw the gloves on again.
Keeper of the Old Code.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »
Lots of wasted opportunities because of blinding focus on an objective. This happens at the begining of the spar when i don't have a plan, and I am focusing on a specific approach, that other opportunites are missed. It is actually quite frustrating to watch.

Lack of depth of kowledge of submissions is obvious.

I am slow.

No stamina.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

SHOCKMAN {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Team Ronin Online
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
I really enjoyed watching that. Made my heart go up. Looking great guys.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
[/ur

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
I have been asked how does someone increase their quickness in small spaces. Lot of different ways. For me, a lot of my speed came from football. Lot of drills working quickness, speed, agility, etc. It's all about that quick twitch muscle memory. My recommendation: get yourself a ladder and some cones and start hittin' it. Work them box jumps or an equivalent. If you increase your foot speed, your body will follow. Hand speed for boxing is a little different. There are plenty of speed drills for throwing hands online as well. But overall body movement, shooting for takedowns, slipping to side, quick movement to pass guard, quite a few football drills have transitioned over for me.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:28:13 AM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
So closing my Jaw all the way hurts on my right side. Just an FYI!
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
So closing my Jaw all the way hurts on my right side. Just an FYI!

Haha outstanding!

Yesterday's attendees: Koss, Tabor, Clinch, Hansen, Schumaker, Wetjen.

We started off doing this boxing combo shown in the video below. Working on throwing combos, slipping, rolling, or pulling away from attacking shots, and returning combos. Repetition is key with this. Just working it and working it and working it. Get the body used to being in certain positions and throwing punches, getting the brain used to reacting to incoming shots and moving the head/body away accordingly, getting the response built in for us to fire back.

After drills....we went hard. Mouth pieces went in. Head gear put on. It was time to get a feel for real shots. We weren't throwing to kill the other person, but 85-95% shots with speed and power behind them. Closest thing to real sparring we have done so far. In the first bout there was some hesitation in throwing hard at the other person. We are so used to going light and just learning, trying not to hurt each other, being good training partners, working on technique. A day like this is good for us to see real speed and get ourselves used to throwing with authority. A day like this, you will bring some pain to your training opponent. Controlled doses you can work through. If you are in a martial art where you never get to spar hard, you're setting yourself up for unknown. You don't really know how you will respond or how well your technique works in a real world situation. This breaks down that barrier a bit. You figure out what is bull crap, what needs to be changed, what you need to improve on, what you need to be looking for, etc. We did 1 minute rounds. Bell rung...go at it. If I remember correctly, Tabor fought Koss, then he boxed Schumaker and let her get a feel for it at her pace. Clinch and Koss boxed, followed by Clinch and Tabor to end the session. Wetjen was injured from lifting during the week and didn't box. Taylor did really well. He was using a return cross (something we did in drills) with good effectiveness. I'll be looking forward to the video when Nate posts it up.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:04:22 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
I was just driving around sending my taxes in and found something else.. My shoulder hurts.

I am not as excited to see the video as Hoot. I am sure to see myself get destroyed by Koss right off the bat. He hit me so hard with a body shot he moved me backwards. He punched me so hard in the face that my leg tingled. I would hate to see what would have happened to me if take downs were part of the drill.

Then there was going at it with Dingle. He immediately starts smoking me and does it time and time again. We wrap up a bit and I go to separate and think we will dance for a bit... Nope he is right in my face again punishing me for my laxness.  it. I took so many hits from him and again would hate to see what it would have been to not be restrained.

I learned TON's though.
1. I have to take some hits. Once I got past the worry/fear of taking a real shot I was able to start looking for patterns or openings. Now my speed and knowledge might not show all or allow me to follow through with everything i see, but I do remember switching into more of that mindset. Doing that from the start of an engagement is only going ot bring rewards.

2. When you get hit is when you have to be on guard most. The opponent many times will know they had a good it in before you know how good it was. This came in watching Tabor/Rachel as well as taking hits from both Koss and Dingle. That moment when the bell is ringing is when the hands need to not just be up, but up and HARD, muscles Flexed for the next possible blow.

3. There isn't a ref. This is the thing that persists for me. If i have been had, i kinda go lose as kinda a "you got me, lets back up and reset" kind of thing. It was most prevelant in Dingle's. I would go to reset and would already be taking a series of hits. THERE IS NO REF OR RULES. You have to go and protect and attack and defend till it is done. This is kind of hard to explain, but the sources is brothers, sparring, and grappling. There is the reset.

I am sure i will remember more lessons learned when I see the video.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:26 PM »
Another Friday session in the books. Attendees: Jake, Nate, Taylor, Nick, Will and Taylor's buddy Seth.

Started off working strikes quasi-on the ground. One guy was on all fours with mits, the attackers would lean into him from the side and deliver blows to his head, he would then spin on top of him like a record to a new position deliver strikes, spin, strikes, etc. Spent most of the morning working this. After that we tried our hand at the Darce choke. None of us had ever done it before, so we were learning on the fly with this one, but had a little success with it.

After this we did a few minutes of rolling, starting on our knees. Taylor tapped me out with a guillotine. First time I've been tapped at Fight Club since we started it 8 months ago back in August. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Guys are making good progress.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Wetjen Illustration & Design
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Here's from the past two weeks. Great stuff.

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
I keep watching this and feeling the pain on Koss' hits. That upper cut or cross at 3:37 ish had my jaw hurting for days. You can see me back off after that to regain feeling in my leg. lol. Also the opening body shot at 3:29 literally sent me back.

Nick has such good moves and combo's it is like quite confusing to defend and attack in.

Both men I am glad to have WITH me as brothers.

These video's are awesome to learn from.
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:42 PM »
Here it is! Thanks Nate. Great chance to watch, review and prep for the next bout.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Dark {MWB}

• Co-Captain
  • Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - nspike_00@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - aikido_nick@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »
You guys are doing some good stuff here. Keep it up
"It's nice to be nice to the nice"
Frank Burns
M*A*S*H 4077

Dark {MWB}

• Co-Captain
  • Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - nspike_00@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - aikido_nick@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Actually I think this is what happens.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:28:15 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
"It's nice to be nice to the nice"
Frank Burns
M*A*S*H 4077

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »
Haha yes. Man, he even had to bust out the paper cut. No mercy.
Keeper of the Old Code.