News: SMF - Just Installed!
June 17, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

Author Topic: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)  (Read 5013 times)

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Friday Mornings---Men Gather (FightClub)
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »
Attendees today: Myself, Wetch, Seth and Rachel

Today was nice. Much slower paced and purely technique driven. Rachel is still really new to all of this so I spent 1 on 1 time with her going through the major positions (guard, half guard, top mount, side control, rear mount) then we watched Nate and Seth work on putting triangles on each other from guard. I talked Rachel through what they were doing and why. We would stop and all together discuss some details or finer points of making the choke more effective. After awhile, they practiced with their partner resisting. Finally, we ended the day with some 1-2 minute rolling sessions.

WE WILL BE OFF THE NEXT TWO WEEKS. No Fight Club the next two weeks. This next Friday we leave for Sherwood. The following Nate will be in Colorado.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
Fight club this Friday?

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »
Fight club this Friday?

Yes sir. Walk to lead some ground work for us?
Keeper of the Old Code.

Koss {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
Fight club this Friday?

Yes sir. Walk to lead some ground work for us?

Fo sho !

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
After a 2 week break we were back at it today. Koss led the morning and took us through 3 different techniques. They dealt with being on our back and having an opponent on top of us in the top mount. Not a great position to be in for the bottom man. So we spent time going through two ways to get out of this situation and roll our opponent, ending up on top of them, allowing us to maintain position or try to shift to side control or even our own top mount.

First we had to push their hips away from us and snap our hips/body to the side somewhat. From here we worked our legs to secure one of the top man's legs so we can secure half guard. Once we achieve half guard, there were two different ways to roll our man over using leg/foot grabs.

Or, an alternative to rolling out was trying to get half guard setup, then going for an Ezekiel choke while we are still on our back. This is pretty sweet. Koss also explained that he has seen a UFC fighter put a guy in the Ezekiel choke while standing, then quickly dropping down and pulling his opponent with him to sink it in.

After working through these we did some 1v1 rolling for 3-5 minutes each.

Attendees: Koss, Wetch, Seth (another Seth), Tabor and myself.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
This past Friday we had 3 of us working together: myself, Wetch and Seth H.

I led the guys through several techniques of escaping the guillotine. The first two were potential escapes if you get put into the hold while standing, the final 3 were escapes if you were on the ground and in the guard of the person trying to choke you out. Primary principle while on the ground: STACK UP. Get your but in the air and extend your legs, lean forward on to them and take pressure off of your neck, transferring the pressure to the bottom man. We worked through a little trick to get the bottom man to tap (the one putting you in the guillotine) while you are fighting against it. Handy stuff to know since the guillotine is one of the most popular moves used by everyone.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Wetjen Illustration & Design
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
Rachels parent are visiting this weekend and helping us paint the house, so we are going to cancel tomorrow the 7th, plan on next week being back to normal and then we are going to try a Friday evening session on the 29th with grilling after. Family welcome to come for that one and maybe bring a side or other goodies. More to come.

Phoenix {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
I should be able to make it this Friday.

Wetch {MWB}

• Forum Admin
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Wetjen Illustration & Design
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
I've got CWS stuff these next two fridays, Jake's gone too, soooo...Let's just plan on regrouping on the 29th at 530pm to kick it off again. Spouses/Kids welcome, bring some sides/drinks/snacks and we'll grill and chill after some rolling.