News: SMF - Just Installed!
August 15, 2018, 04:07:10 PM

Author Topic: Sherwood Reactions  (Read 587 times)

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sherwood Reactions
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
First morning back from Sherwood for me. It was nice seeing the family and enjoying my bed. Good to be home. Beck is working today, so I am home with the kiddos, getting to relax a bit and reflect on the trip. I still have a pile of gear sitting on my basement floor. Nick just dropped off my big gear box (much appreciated). All those guys who had to head back to work today....much respect. I'm feeling the soreness today and I'm sure I'd be dragging.

Trip wise, I had a great time. I loved having so many guys come out for this big trip/scenario. It made campfire time a lot of fun and on the field we always had some guys out there, even while others rested at camp. It kept our presence on the field a constant. Twenty guys gives you that luxury. And it was just good getting to spend a weekend with so many of the guys. I laughed a LOT on this trip.

My vehicle group was awesome: myself, Heath, Will and Zach. We spent significant time discussing history and listening to audio books lectures on the Crusades. Plus had some good tunes. The radio negotiations between Heath/I and Theo/Ryan concerning lunch was a good way to spend an hour or so on the road. My wife's van did the trick and get us out there, along with some team gear (tables, etc.). But next time...I will have my new truck. Want to avoid the van cram/van overload in the future. I heard our rear end on the van was pretty low. 1000+lbs of man beef with gear will do that. On with the truck search!

We had a nice setup at camp. Theo made some calls and coordinated a circus tent being delivered to Sherwood and then Sherwood receiving it and directing the tent folks to a good spot for us in the camping area. It was all setup when we arrived and ready to go. We busted out the cots and sleeping pads and set them up under the tent. Tables went up, gear bags brought in, and we were ready to roll. A few guys setup their own personal tents just outside the big one and slept in those. The Elitists, I mean Snack Club, had their own little camping tent section with their own tables and what not. But, they did allow guests (ie the rest of Muddy) to stop over and say "hi" from time to time.  It was kind of them. I would like to point out that my van crew took longer to get home than Snack Club. What was the hurry fellas? ;) In related news, I did hear they might have a new member added to Snack Club. Someone who may or may not be named Phoenix. When I discussed it with the OGs it seemed like Phoenix was in apprentice phase, but I did see him rocking a custom Snack Club tshirt, which does not exist of course, so if such a thing existed, it seems it might have a new member. Tim....might have lost your seat. Although that much owed steak dinner might help some things.

Camp setup was nice though. All the guys from the big tent and small tents would often gather around the campfire out front. Keenan brought a SWEET fire pit cylinder that worked excellent. It costs a ton, but I am seriously considering snagging one. I was very impressed with it. It allowed us to keep the fire contained without digging a pit, using stones, or anything like that. Easy clean up and transport too with it's travel bag. Thanks for bringing that Grim! I was also very pleased with my new 17" Blackstone griddle I purchased and brought along. It runs off propane and I bought a bulk tank adapter so it could run off one of the big boys. I brought two bulk tanks to be safe, but was pleased to see if only consumed 1/4 of a tank by the end of the weekend. It cooked up grub really well and quick, and also cleaned easy. Will held down one of our old traditions and purchased ONLY Hot Pockets for the entire weekend. Those too cooked up pretty nicely on the Blackstone.

Speaking of, it was around the campfire at night, with the whole team gathered, that we brought Will "Windmill" Curry onto Muddy on Saturday night, and then we did the same for Heath "still working on call sign" Hansen on Sunday night. So Sherwood ushered in two new members for us. Two guys I love and am grateful for their friendships.

Facilities: Sherwood is a beautiful place that is well taken care of. The owners are two amazing people. I came away thinking highly of both of them. Kathy was tremendous with registrations and all of the behind the scenes work. And her hubby, Joe, was a good guy who clearly has put a ton of work and heart into his field. The entire field has at least 50,000 railroad ties on it he said. Bunkers are made to last. His big castle is really cool. It is not as large as the one at Jaegers but the inside of Sherwood's castle is more intense with multiple access points, many small rooms and a plethora of corners and angles for some intense CQB action. The most fun I had gunfighting all weekend came on two separate occassions of clearing out the castle. More on that later. The rest of the field was diverse enough to keep things interesting. Guys had the option to just work more brush along the far tape line, or go bunker to bunker in other sections. It also had a giant dirt mound, maybe 40' high on one side and 60' high on the other. That added some interesting game play wrinkles. Taylor owned from on top of that thing. The owners do a great job of keeping it clean too. Grass off the field and on the field was cut/trimmed nicely and the field just looked clean. Even things like the port-a-potties were noticed. New, fresh and clean. It was appreciated. Their registration buildings were really cool too. A lot of wood timbers and metal tin roofs were used. It had a very rustic feel to it. Their showers on site were good too. COLD water, but a welcome cleansing. Air station fills were smooth and fast. Close to 4500 psi. Having multiple paint options was a plus. GI 3 star shot excellent for me the 1st day. 2nd day I was having a number of barrel breaks. Their vendors were sufficient and welcome. A company was doing tank re-hydos on site. Never seen that before. Pretty awesome. PBSports had an assortment of gear items for sale and were willing to haggle. Quite a few of us bought things from them. I believe Dark was the first, naturally. Overall, the facilities were great. It was kind of them to allow us to stay overnight on their campground as well once the event was over.

Gameplay: We broke the game. Saturday the scenario didn't begin until Noon. All right! Muddy schedule 101. This meant we all were on the field and ready to roll by game on. Our commanders had wanted Muddy to be the center push that locked down the middle of the field (the Commons area), from which the two arms could swing up and go to work. The horn blew and we took off, sprinting for the Commons area. We anticipated having to stop on our side of Commons, but we saw no enemies so we kept running, as I approached the center tower I still saw no enemies, so we kept pushing, Taylor right on my hip, we ran all the way across the Commons and locked it down on their side of it. Setting up our line. Still no enemies in sight. I look back, and I don't see any teammates either. Evidently, we were the only ones who ran on our side, our teammates eventually come walking up. The enemy starts meandering our way as well. I think they had a late start, but not 100% sure on that. As they enemy approaches, Muddy had a wall of death waiting for them. We mow them down in clumps. Taylor and Theo are doing work on my right side in some small berms. I see Eagle in front of me, pushing the front boundary and getting up in their grill. I see Heath to my left popping away. Other teams on blue start filling in around us and we just chew up the red team. It's not even close. They just keep dropping like flies. We take back a bunch of props for points that we find around and behind us. We push to their base. Red is doomed within the first hour. The rest of the day is a pretty chill day of play. We take the castle and own it for a long time. The enemy doesn't have a real chance to take it back. The castle fighting was my favorite.

The first time in the castle I was by myself, trying to get the rest of the blue side/Muddy to breach with me and help take it over. It took awhile for the rest of the crew to get nearby so I was running solo in there for maybe 5 minutes. I had entered through a basement door into a room that allowed me to continue through the first floor of the castle, or go up some stairs to my left to the 2nd floor. I was by myself so I rush into the room, immediately go left up the stairs halfway and stop. I want to be able to see and fight on both floors if needed. I want to stay alive, but I also want to create a beachhead/entry point for the rest of Muddy to enter. My head is just poking up above the top stair so my head is basically level with the 2nd floor. At the same time, I can look to down to my right and see if any guys enter the room I am in, either from inside the castle, or through the door behind me that I came in. I'm waiting....listening....quietly calling out my position to Muddy and asking them to rally to my position. They inform me they are getting closer. Suddenly I hear a soft shuffle on the 2nd floor. An enemy is getting close to the 2nd floor door near me. I have no idea how many Red players are in the castle, but I know I'm alone and they are not. I raise my gun on the doorway and wait. Nothing happens. Little time passes. I step up a stair to try and see over the ledge and get eyes on more of the 2nd floor. As I do, the man enters the doorway. I quickly drop back down a stair and begin to raise my gun. He sees me and raises his. His shot fires just above me (since I dropped down) and I get 2 shots on him (gun and chest). He immediately stops shooting, tells me nice job and walks out. Whew. That was close. Victory...but I know that attracted anyone else in the church. I hear foot steps upstairs again, but also below me and just outside the castle. Their is a window right behind me on the stairs on 1st floor. I keep shifting my focus back and forth from 2nd floor door to 1st floor window. 2nd floor moves on my first, he breaches and I shoot him, I immediately hear 1st floor rush my window and I spin and shoot him through the window. 180 degree kills within seconds. Good moment. 3 dead inside the castle. I call out to Muddy, Theo says he is close. Within moments Theo enters my 1st floor door and holds the room with me. He ventures a little further into the 1st floor to check it. As our boys start flowing in, we start clearing up and down. We secure the castle and We do not give it up until we decide to leave. I can't remember if it was that incident or a later castle battle but as we were clearing 2nd floor, Taylor came under fire on the 2nd floor from 2 Red down below in the 1st floor. I move through the rooms to get an angle on them and kill both of them. Castle fighting was by far my favorite gameplay.

On Sunday, the castle introduced us to the castle sneaky sneaky incident. We go to the castle for a mission but it is unoccupied. So we are just chilling outside, joking around and shooting the breeze for awhile. We keep shooting at trees and crap, even shooting next to each other to mess with one another. We finally decide to at least take up spots in the church. I go up the stairs first and break off into a side room. Will and Phoenix are coming up behind me and I hear a "WHACK!" Will was just shot coming up the stairs, from inside! There was a Red player hiding way up on the small 3rd floor. It is the highest point where the castle flag and giant bell resides. I see Will go down and I immediately start yelling "RED PLAYER! INSIDE THE CASTLE! 3rd FLOOR!" At first, the guys below think I am just messing with them, given our previous joking around, but I keep yelling it and the boys get the hint and move into action. I'm trying to peek a corner and see this guy, when all of a sudden I heard another "WHACK!" This time, it was Taylor, from outside the castle down at ground level, just popped the guy who was up in 3rd right in his mask. Done deal. That was humorous though.

There was a lot of good fire fights and moments, but I will let the other guys share those. Sunday they balanced out the teams and it was way more competitive. The final battle was brought some laughs for me. I loved being up in the castle with Will, Zach and Heath. Those 3 had fun rolling together. By then, Will had become our supply man, carrying tons of extra paint to share with us. Heath was blasting Johnny Cash and Sabaton from his wireless speaker, and as the paint was flying, it was glorious. Blue side ended up winning the event and taking home the victory.

After the scenario ended, we got some good teams pics at the castle, included a funny one staging a trap for the infamous "Bunny", whom I will let others start sharing stories about. HA! That includes the Knights of Ni and our battlers with the antlers as well!

After pics, we all gathered up for a final players meeting to wrap up the event. During this time they had an awards ceremony, and we were awarded the Most Valuable Team by our side. We were given a small MVT pendant and got our picture taken up front. After that, we said some goodbyes to people we had met, thanked the the owners, Joe and Kathy, and walked back up to our camp site. Good event. From there we showered up, found a pizza joint nearby, then rallied back at the campfire to round out the final evening. In the morning we woke up, broke down camp and headed home, stopping at Brownell's along the way.

People: We have good people on this team. We can drive each other crazy, but it's all fun.

Taylor was excellent on the field. Absolutely excellent. I think he ended up with 45 kills or so at the event. I watched him just drop Red player after Red player. And he helped motivate us tired folk to go back out and keep playing. I enjoyed sharing bunkers with him and joking around under fire. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish he had joined the rest of our team when he did that ridiculous team dance for points during the game (on video). We needed his dance moves desperately. Taylor and his buddy Jeremy also talked Heath and I into joining them Saturday night at Lake Michigan for a swim/wash. It was COLD but fantastic. Heath and I embraced our Norseman blood and felt at home.

Theo was on fire all weekend as well. I believe he was also in the 40 kill range. I saw him push harder than anyone else on our team. And he was always out there playing! We would be back at camp taking a breather and he was still going. He played a crucial role in defending and pushing our left flank in the brush on one occassion, and I saw him go to work outside the castle with with some fierceness. Fun to watch. He was one of the best players on the field representing us all weekend long.

Koss was right there with him too. Theo told me that one of his favorite feelings on the field is looking back or next to him and seeing Koss rolling with him. I loved having Seth with us. His final scenario with the team before he moves to Texas at the end of May (Air Force). I will miss him at our Fight Club mornings too. He was my fellow early riser at camp. I would wake up to the sun and birds chirping, head out to my chair and Seth (and Bagel) would be rising too. The first morning Seth sat down with me and was like, "what time is it?" Looking at how bright it was, I figured it was around 7am. Nope....it was 5am! What the heck? I didn't know it was that bright at 5am lol. Seth, we will miss you in Nebraska buddy. Hopefully we can line some trips up with you though.

Trek is so good for our team, on so many levels. He is great at networking and striking up friendships with others on the field, including fellow team captains, field owners, photographers, you name it. He tries to help alleviate confusion with others (Knights of Ni), is always willing to do anything that is needed, willing to step up and help and and also leaded whenever needed. I have seen so much growth out of this guy. Maybe he sees it, maybe not. Unsure. But it is clear to me. From his humble acceptance of leading our Muck team and trying to do his best, to now, still with humility, but with a ton of confidence willing to step and lead wherever is needed, his leadership skills in the pball world have really grown. I would work to keep comms up and help coordinate teammates, or work with Patty our XO (via the radio), and at the same time Trek was seamlessly flowing in as well, doing the same thing. It felt like there was 2 of me working the field and comms and the two flowed and enhanced the other. On top of that, his gameplay has amped up to. In the past I remember of more cautious Trek sticking to the back more (sometimes needed as the leader), but he was right up in the thick of things at Sherwood. Really impressed with you Trek. Not that you need my praise, but I still want to send it. Thanks for being who you and leading this squad with us.

I got more to come later. Baby duties call. Real quick:

Bagel's gameplay: 100% impressed with what I saw. Another guy who used to play more on the fringes or in the shadows (which is awesome and needed), but it was sweet seeing Kevin mix it up and be the point man snap shooting in bunkers and pushing the attack, even in front of Alpha and Dark sometimes.

Grim: the man is a tank. At one point we were all back at camp...and Grim was still going. In his words, "slow and steady." Love being with Grim on the field and off.

Static: Great having Ryan back out. I was shocked his Ion still worked but I saw that thing ripping at times. Him and Alpha had a sweet moment atop the big dirt berm together.

Dark: I wish I got to play with Dark more (and he knows it! lol). He is one of my favorite guys to play with. I look forward to seeing his footage from his head cam. He held the line for us often. He would help navigate us into to where we needed to be.

Shockman: Pump man who works the brush or pushes the line. Depending on his mood/need. It was fun bringing the crew and seeing Wes way up front snapping with guys all by his lonesome, holding it down like a boss, then having the rest of us roll up behind him and bring support. Plus I just love getting to hang with Wes.

Phoenix: Enjoyed getting to have a little bit of our "back to back" moment again near the dirt pile. I hear Phoenix behind me laughing with glee as he mows down a mob of Reds at the Commons. It was cool seeing him run the mag too.

Uncle Nasty: Steady and consistent. Curt setup a nice little shower unit for guys. He was also on the field a long time while us younger guys were resting, working the brush and keeping red at bay. I'm grateful for these times we get to roll with Nasty.

Heath: Really glad you enjoyed yourself on this trip. Thanks for showing us your town, church and home too on the way back. I loved seeing you, Will and Zach tear it up together. Your story of storming the tower with those two was good stuff. Oh and I appreciate the Johnny Cash as well! Looking forward to more brother.

Will: Also really glad you enjoyed it man. Been hoping to bring you into this for a long time now. You found your niche too! Supply man bringing the goods on the field! Now to find you a pistol or a good deal on a Mini. Thanks for coming bro.

Zach: Always enjoy having you around man. Yep, you are a troll master and you certainly get plenty of crap sent back your way (speaking of....RIP Heath on PubG), but you balance it well man. It's fun rolling with you. Your Knight of Ni encounter....haha too funny. Thanks for coming bud.

Eagle: Michael made it out! So good to see you again man. Glad to hear Navy is going well for you. You still have that good heart, great personality, and aggressive play style on the field! Nice work pushing the field all day.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:39:04 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

Phoenix {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sherwood Reactions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
Don't have the time for a full write up now but this was the first event where first strike was a noticeable element of the game. Really liked how it shook things up and spent a good chunk of the drive home discussing budget ways to get a FSR rig set up.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »
Don't have the time for a full write up now but this was the first event where first strike was a noticeable element of the game. Really liked how it shook things up and spent a good chunk of the drive home discussing budget ways to get a FSR rig set up.

That would be FANTASTIC to get a contingent of Muddy having First Strike capabilities if able/desired. I also am interested in getting a setup. Catch 22 is not many events allow it at the moment. BUT, maybe more will open up their doors to it like Sherwood. I felt their significance on the field and was the victim of a sniper's shot with one. They are legit.
Keeper of the Old Code.

Trek {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »
Sherwood....

This was a great way to knock the rust off! I hadn't done a big game since D-Day 2015. First off Hoot your kind words and praise means the world to me! You are the leader I strive to be!

Wes, Phoenix, and I got off to a solid start. All of our gear fit and we were good to go. Grabbed a quick bite and bailed out of the Metro. Great conversation with these Gentlemen! Wes is my Yoda and Pheonix was soaking it up like a sponge! Just on the other side of Des Moines we had a low tire light on so we stopped to check that. Glanced over and saw Moo's BBQ. Well of course we had to check it out! The pulled pork was bomb! Moo's was 2018 Iowa Pork Producers Assn award winner. Wes and Phoenix had sandwiches they said was great. Back on the road for some more fantastic conversation. Everything from paintball to relationships to living as a man in our current climate. We covered about everything! Passing the exits for CPX in Joliet kicked a couple of pangs of sadness. I really enjoyed that field and event. My first big event was LL4 and I consider Lani and Honu as family to this day.

Getting to the field. First thing we did was set up our tent and canopy. The tent was brand new and I had no idea how it went up. I am so happy I bought the one I did! Went up easy and the 3 of us had plenty of room. Sprayed for water and bugs and went to walk the field with the guys. Quick stop at PB Sports tent for some new knee pads. That was all I was letting myself buy. I found lots I could have bought! Sherwood feels like a cross between Mad Cow and Jaeger's fort field. The owners remind me a lot of Bill and Terri. With the exception that Joe just keeps building! His plans sound awesome! I wish Bill were as motivated to build as Joe! Both Joe and Kathy were super nice and helpful! Their castle is a sight. No doubt! I took some pix that I need to get loaded. Back to campsite to help get everything unpacked and in its place before a run to Wal-Mart. I do believe a camp shower system will be on my list before the next camping event. I gotta say Phoenix was our camp cook and he did an amazing job! Kudos to him and to his lovely wife, who found us a few killer recipes on Pintrest.   

Game on. I did like having a noon game on. Made it for a much more relaxed event. Hoot, Phoenix, and I walk down and meet with our XO and go over a game plan. I think the questions and comments from Hoot made Patty (XO) realize we knew what we were doing. She was yelling for Muddy for missions all day and according to Lani, who knows Patty, that is pretty high praise. When the horn blew we were off. Now I have mixed accounts about what happened on the red side of the field. I have heard they had a false start and were called back. I have also heard that it was a jumbled mess and no one really knows. But we get to where I was expecting to get resistance and there was nothing. Crickets. I am gun up, thinking, "are they that organized that they are ambushing us?" Not the case. We push beyond the Commons and are well beyond that before I start seeing bodies walking, not running, walking towards us. It was pretty much a massacre. The entire day was a shooting gallery. What Hoot said about us breaking the game might have been an understatement. They had no solution for MWB the entire day. Muddy was flexing from right tape to left tape all throughout the day and not once did Patty need to call us back to left center where we were supposed to be. It was as if none of us were rusty. We played aggressive, we communicated, and we worked together and rocked the red side back on their heels within the first hour. We get pulled back to the commons by the refs because we were literally shooting on their command base. I heard later that was because of the game on false start, but refs pushed us back 3 times the first day. I just don't think they were prepared for Muddy as a cohesive unit.
I was out of paint around 2 or so and decided to hike back to command to get a sit-rep and go get more paint and lunch. I radio in info and go get some food. I am at camp and hear across the radio that we had a special mission because we found a specific prop and we all needed to be at the registration building. I get there only to find out the mission is for style points and we had to dance for 5 minutes. Needless to say we were all less than thrilled, but we had fun and got the mission points. The video is coming. I get to know the photographer and Phoenix and I go back to camp to cook brats and get ready to hit the field again.
On the way back onto the field, I start hearing chatter on the comms about the Knights of Ni being upset with us overshooting them and making a comment about gunning for MWB. Which brings up one of only a couple of complaints about the event as a whole. With so many things going on they needed to have the rules down pat. There was confusion, we were told the Knights of Ni could only go out via a headshot. The Knights were going out on any shot. So they felt they were getting overshot by us. Our entire side was unable to get a clarification to the rule either. I think that event director needs to figure out a better comms system. But back to game. I come in and find out the team is posted up in the castle so I make my way there. Theo was having some issues and needed me to bring him a larger barrel back because he was breaking paint. So I come up on the castle and get up into 3rd floor so I can survey the game as a whole. I see Shockman working bunkers headed towards their command bunker and Theo working the left tape and jumping bunker to bunker pretty much un-challenged. So I make my way to Theo. Turns out he doesn't need the barrel back, he needs someone to help him get his pants fastened again! Lol! You never know what to expect from Muddy! Theo gets his pants under control and we start pushing that right tape line. I am moving behind Theo bunker for bunker and we find ourselves firing on their command hut from the other side. I start realizing we could collapse their command bunker. So I radio frantically to command to clarify how to "dead" their command. No response. We, and by we I primarily mean Theo, continue to drop guys. Finally they get a respawn. By that time Taylor had made his way up to us. So it was Theo, Taylor, then me stacked up behind a tree when their walking tank respawned! We were literally circling a tree with the tank on the other side circling trying to hit us. I see an opportunity and scamper away taking a random shot in the tush for my troubles. About that time, Phoenix who was in the dead box, radios in how to kill their command hut. Too late there. I trudge back, reinsert and head back to do 2 quick back to back missions then gun battle my way past the castle again before running out of paint pushing past the big mounds Hoot was talking about with Theo. So I make my way around towards the right side tape line again to see how others are doing. I have no paint but figured I could radio the crew with a sit-rep. I come up on a group of young kids running together at a small tower and they are taking shot from a guy that they couldn't see. I see him from my vantage point and walk up to talk to the kids. They tell me they don't know where he is. I grab one kid and pull him out with me and point that the guy is shooting through a window in the wall. The kid immediately took him out! He was stoked! So I move to the other side of the tower and steal a play out of Honu's play cards. I ask the 4-5 guys there, "who wants to do something stupid with me?" The guys all say sure so we bum rushed their line. I get shot out but they managed to reset the line and shoot out a bunch of guys! That pretty much ended the day for me. I had shot through about a case of paint so I headed back to camp for camp shenanigans.
The next day we swapped sides and game on was at 9 am. Muddy time meant we inserted about 9:30. This was a whole new game. They had swapped 2 teams to the other side to try to balance everything out. It definitely made the difference! Gun battles were faster. Rates of fire were up. You earned kills rather than mowing people down. It was a blast working with Muddy taking the dirt mounds and fighting into the Commons from the other side. Lots of good work with Bagel, Shockman, Theo, Hoot, and Taylor. It is such a confidence booster to look over and see you guys there ready to back up anything. Gives a guy the confidence to go hard in the paint. I gun battle for a while taking shots and giving them before I run out of paint and make my way off the field. That was the end of play for me. My bad knee was giving me fits plus I had managed to injure the opposing foot so I was limping on both legs. I did overhear a conversation from 2 red players coming off the field. I had my old jersey on and my vest on so they didn't know I was MWB. They were talking about play the second day and made the comment that it took two home field teams to neutralize the Muddy Water Boys. So that should tell you what impact we had on the event.
So while the final battle is going on I wander a bit and strike up a convo with some of the people on the sidelines. Turns out to be one of the home team guys who also helps organize Clown's Vs. Zombies at PB Explosion. He offers us free admission if we bring him Runza. He apparently graduated from Papillion La Vista. I spent most of the time chatting with him and a couple of other folks who wander by. Just a good group of people all around. By now they had all heard chatter about MWB all over the event. Then the horn blows for end of game. Another killer event with the best guys I know! I proceed to wander up to the Photographer, Billy Jack, and chat with him. He is a member of Modern Day Pirates with Dana and Candi Turner. We set up a joke picture shoot with the white rabbit, that was Phoenix's idea so I will let him fill you all in and set up for him to do our team photos in front of the castle. Then it was time for awards. Like Hoot said we are chosen MVT and find out the Blue side won. Yup! Paintball done so we settle in for freezing cold showers. Deffinitly the coldest shower I think I have ever taken. Talking with Kathy, the owner, they think they broke the valve the night before trying to make it warmer. No hot water whatsoever! But you got clean. Lol!
Pizza time! Wes and I have pretty similar taste in food so we decided to split a pizza. Phoenix and Theo decide to split one as well. The first pizza comes out and the waitress informs Wes and I that the cooks made us a thin crust instead of a thick crust so she was having them make another pizza for us. Sweet! Snack Club is as Snack Club does! Then Phoenix and Theo's pizza shows up. It looks suspiciously like Wes and mine. Yep they made 2 of our incorrect pizzas! Score! They get a free pizza too! So we wolf down the thin crust and take a pizza and a half home! Back at the campsite to gather around the camp fire. Like Hoot said, thank you Grimm for your fire pit! It was perfect! It was downright cold! Good conversation was had all over the circle. Towards the end of the evening getting to know Heath was great! Some conversation about Iowa farm life and then talking about Mountain Lions with him and Will I realized, someone needs to take Will to the Zoo!! He has never been! Lol! I decide to rack up and thank every spiritual being I can think of that I brought my own tent! With 3 guys in my tent I was warm all night. If I were in the big tent I may have considered leaving when Dark and his crew bailed! I can't believe you guys didn't ever get the front put on that tent. It was as cold as the rain/snow mixture that fell at LL7. The next day we were up and packed. Back on the road by 8. More good convo to be had. To be honest I was exhausted. Wes and Kevin spent most of the trip talking. I was in and out of consciousness most of the trip. We find a killer burger place in Iowa City that has hand cut french fries for lunch. It was delicious! We make our way to Brownell's. That place is cool! We hang out a bit waiting on Hoot's crew then can't wait any longer so we go inside. It is Santa's workshop for firearms! Pricing seems pretty legit and handled some drool worthy arms. That was when I get the text that I had to work the next day. I was supposed to have it off so I could recuperate. No such luck. Needless to say that put a damper on my mood. Now I needed to get back as soon as I could. That is why it seems like we were in a hurry getting home. Shoot we didn't even say goodbye to the other guys! Kevin got his order from them and we bailed. I apologize about that. Totally my fault. The rest of the trip was incident free. Mad respect for Pheonix for driving. I totally respect not having to do that!
All in all the trip reminded me of why we are the brotherhood that we are. Everyone brings something new and refreshing to the group. I can't wait for more Muddy paintball trips in the future!

Trek out........

The O {MWB}

• Co-Captain
  • Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:19:00 AM »
It was truly a great weekend, I have missed hitting the field with you guys!  Many new memories and great stories were created and I am reminded how much this team means to me and how much fun I have playing paintball!

Where to start for the weekend?  Well I was running late on Friday and make it to Taylor's, Him and static are waiting.  As we are stuffing my car I realize there is NO WAY we are getting all this stuff in......  a dude in a red suv says he can take some in his vehicle.  I chuckle at what seams to be a lame joke.  He pulls out, then backs in and introduces himself as Jeremy and that he is in-fact going on the trip!  He helped transport some of our gear and Taylor rode with him while static and I hit the road!

It was an easy drive and the new car, packed to the gills, logged 35 mpg.  AWESOME.  A wreck on I 80 in Chicago slowed us down 40 minutes or so... it was bumper to bumper and no fun at all.

We arrived to a king's tent on the hilltop; unpacked, walked the field, met commanders, ate walking tacos at the players party.  Friday night was fun hanging at the camp site, relaxing, and getting ready for the day.  Saturday a few guys rose early and the rest of us tried to sleep.  Game on was at 12pm so we were all able to make it on the field for the start of the game.  lol. 

To appreciate this field fully, you have to be there.  A moat, bunkers, pill boxes, wall, small dried up creek all surround the castles in a beautiful playing field.  This is actually the tapeline of the field around the midway point.  The field moved West, South, and North into more turrets, pillboxes, woods, and other structures.  Some parts of the field were mostly woods with a few man made structure.  Well designed and thought through.    The North side felt like the stronger side of the field.  The castle favored the north side and it also meant the south side fighting up hill to the castle which was a pain.  You also were attacking structures out of the woods the moving south to north. 

We started on the north side and I think this helped us "break the game".  We did come out in force.  I heard the Red read did not have a ref at their base to start the game or the "bird banger" as all them Indiana and Michigan folks called it.   They started late, so I heard, and walked into our line of fire.   Taylor and I ended up on some berms and we had tangos in front of us and to our side.  We slowly worked them out.  I see a red flag on the hill top and run and pull this thing out.  A guy on our team starts yelling at me to put the flag back in.... Why, I took it, it was red, now its not.  Also, where is a blue flag.  Oh yeah, the guy yelling at me to put the red flag back is holding a blue flag 20 yards behind me.  Apparently you can only pull a flag when you replace it.  Taylor and I are both trying to convince the guy to be quiet and bring his flag across the road and replace the one I just pulled.  it took some convincing but he finally gave up arguing with us and put in the blue flag.  We also found a can of spam. 

There were 8 flag stations and your team could only occupy 5 at a time.  When someone pulled your flag, they had to leave it within 20 yards of the flag station.  I never knew if we owned all 5 available stations or if the red team had ran off with a flag.  but the midway point I stopped caring.....  Some of the rules were not clear and were a little too complicated.   

After the flag incident we move up and have our first Knights who say NI encounter.  They are friendly and walking with me as we push up the tape line.  Jake I believe, and possibly Taylor, (still not getting straight answers) light them up, I am on the other side of them and get lit up by my own team as they shoot the knights.  they were all bounce shots, I take cover and my hopper jams up and I get shot out.   It would not be the only time MWB lit me up from behind that weekend.

I reinsert and make my way to the west side of the field where MWB has now moved to.  I get up there just in time to see Hoot coming out.  I get to the front lines and Alpha is out of air (I think) and gets caught by a great shot.  I drop into a little ditch on the edge of a bridge.  Railroad (bridge foundation) provide me some cover on 2 sids like a V and my back is resting comfortably on the dirt.  It is a nice little foxhole.  The bridge is right in front of me and I am positioned in my foxhole slightly below it.  The sides of the bridge which are a lattice pattern provide a see-through bunker.  I am well covered and for anyone to get a shot on my they have to expose themselves.  I spent the next 10 minutes or so waiting for the respawn as I was all alone up there.  The enemy kept coming and I did my best to keep them walking off the field.  The kill count was climbing quickly.  On the other side of the bridge from me was a big pill box and a guy made it in.  We battled forever and the amount splatter coming through was absurd.    (I am pretty sure he was from the Pirate team that traveled from Louisiana.  Those guys were some of my most challenging opponents).  After a while I was joined by a friendly player with a tippmann.  He hung out under the bridge and when he revealed himself it put a lot of pressure on the guy in the pillbox.  Our team had started moving up the tapeline, so the tango wanted to get out of there.  He tried to retreat and shoot me out.  He bounced my arm and I took him out.  The at that point the calvary had arrived and I was able to crawl out of my foxhole alive and start pushing with Hoot and Trek.   We are basically at their base and the refs call us back to midfield and put limits on us.  It made part of the game no fun. 

Other highlights from Saturday.  Hoot calling for tower help and joining him just as the last guy walks out feeling the wrath of Hoot.  I join him, we advance and clear the castle.  We are feeling pretty good and WHACK.  Hoot is hit.  Hello first strike round.  the guy is chilling in a turret and I can't touch him.  plus his first strike rounds are on point.  He bounces Heath when he walks out for a bit.  I elect not to snapshoot with that guy and call out to our ground forces who can maneuver in and take him out.  At this point, he is dead and the battle rages on the other side of the castle.  I go to leave and ride down the stairs on my but.  cleats and wood are not a good pair.  I didn't have much desire to spend more time in the castle after that.

At some point we are pushing from the castle south into their base.  we get several kills.  Koss is rolling that side of the field and I always enjoy seeing that dye mask pop out of a bunker.  I knew we stood a good chance. It happened several times all weekend and it was a welcome sight.  I am breaking paint and having problems, call for a barrel and Trek comes and supports me.  I realize it might just be broken paint in my hopper.  It is, I am taking some mad fire, laying prone trying to clean my gear.  I get it clean and reloaded and ready to role.  Dark had started leading the advance up the field and I was left all alone.  I believe I was still within sight of Hoot, Alpha, and Heath.  However, my pants won't zip up.  I am trying to fix my trousers and I see this pesky dude running up with a red armband.  I put some rounds on him and am deciding what to do since my pants are functional yet could drop at any time.  I bail.... run back a bunker or two.  Taylor is yelling some instructions and comments.  The guy is still aggressively attacking, Easily the most aggressive person I have faced in a while.  I am moving to get the angle while keeping track of my pants situation, and he is moving too.  I am trying to lure him in a bit so that the castle guys can put some paint on him.  However, they turned into the peanut gallery and just watched.  We were snap shooting and moving around to some bunkers in a nice one on one.  I was able to catch him right in the face mask.  I believe he ate some paint.  I enjoyed that one. 

After that we kept pushing up the field.  Zach tried to fight the Knights of Ni, Taylor and I played ring around the Rosie with a walking tank.  lol.  It was a time of getting A Lot of kills.  We were pushing into their base.  the tank killed me and then as our guys were focused on them, they respawned right behind our guys......  they did not make it out alive.    I headed back to camp to take a breather, refill, and prep for the night game.   

Night game was a blast, I ran with Goats Reacon.  They were pretty good.  It was basically me bagel (with pump) and Eagle.  We take our side of the filed (it was shortened) and start working our way up.  We took the commons which consisted of railroad tie bunkers and a fort.  And then worked our way to the berms that we started the day on.  (those were the edge of the filed for the night game). There were several dirt mounds in the Middle of the field between the castle and the commons.  We spent most of our time playing in that area.   Bagel was doing work and we were able to push them back all the way to their respawn.  By the time I called it a night I was positioned in a pillbox on a hilltop outside their spawn.  It was glorious, it was another one of those times when the kills were just racking up.

I went back to camp, cleaned up,  and rested up.  That night Windmill became a Muddy Water Boy!  Welcome to the Team!

Sunday was a 9 am Bird Banger.  Only a couple made it for the start of the game.  I meander in a bit late.  Hit the field and realize it is a much tougher fight than the day before.  Red was fired up and we are on the weaker side of the field.  I am playing outside the castle and I was able to run with SBD and Capital Offense.  good teams.  We clear out the bunkers leading up to the castle and get to one of the bridges.  the castle looks empty and we are thinking about breaching.  But the presence of a ref and common sense tells me that thing is hot and there are enemies hiding.  As we start to cross the bridge I see a mask pop up, I put paint on him and take cover.  He launches something that flies past us.  We thought it might have been a first strike round.  we are a little freaked out by the volume and speed of that round.  I post up on the spot the shot came from hoping he would be dumb enough to pop out of the same spot twice.  He does. I shoot him, call it out, and the ref tells us we are dead by a stupid rocket. The guy doesn't want to leave and I remind the ref to check the guy because I shot him.  The ref makes him leave the castle and I take a walk of shame back to the dead box because of a rocket.  the rest of the morning was hard fought.  at one point Alpha and I are holding down some troughs? And a huge dirt mound.  We have been fighting for a while in this area and were supposed to hold a turret in the commons.  They rocketed the turret and then stormed the commons.  We were basically pinched in and surround on 2.5 sides.  They also have the white rabbit dancing with them.  She gets shot by our guys.  I am not sure what happened next.  the rabbit goes behind us, starts shooting our guys, then Alpha turns and lights her up and 4 or 5 of the guys I am with are shot out.  Then after the dust settles, I get shot in the back.  I am walking out pissed cause it was friendly.  Trent says, "shouldn't have looked the wrong way, but I didn't shoot you."  Meanwhile Dark can be seen running away.  At least I was thick enough into the enemy lines that Muddy couldn't tell which team I was on.   

I head out to take a break as I am out of paint and was just up their pretending to shoot people.   I end up receiving a generous gift of paint from Trek and Phoenix.  I load up and hit the field.  Eagle and Shockman are in the dead box and we start re-inserting and see Uncle Nasty coming out from the west tape.  We decide to head that way.  We figure out the guys have started to swing that tape line and we move up to the 50 of the field.  there is a large pill box with a cross pattern inside on top of a hill.  Eagle flanks to the West  and makes sure the foliage outside is clear, a capital offense guys takes the east and Shockman and I start rolling on the building.  Windows look clear, We breach the west side of the house.  Shockman goes to the left of the cross, I go to there right.  As I start to turn the corner to the front of the house, I see two tangos approaching the window.  we are under 10 feet away and it was one of those OH CRRAP moments.  I shoot one guy, try to shoot the other as he runs away.  Shockman makes sure he doesn't escape.  I continue making sure there isn't more. Next thing I know, I scare the crap our of a guy carrying the SAR 12 First Strike marker.  The thing is huge and has a giant scope.  He jumps, swings, shoots, and a first strike round flies past me.  I jump and shoot, I miss, he ducks for cover and is hiding on the edge of the house.  I can see the tip of his scope.  I put two rounds on it, on on the glass, and he goes out.  Eagle keeps pushing the west side and advances.    ME and Shockman continue taking out a few guys here and there.  Shockman, Eagle and myself take some more ground and establish a line just outside the enemies North spawn.   I am tucked away into a dirt mound/tree bunker that provides pretty good coverage.  Shockman is in a decent spot and so is Eagle.  At this point we have cleared out many of the remaining guys on our side and are waiting for a respawn.  Wes tells me he took a first strike round but can't find paint and doesn't know if he is hit (when we got back to camp, he took off his scarf and found the fully intact round.   That is right, Shockman is now CATCHING PAINTBALLS).  As if he wasn't legend enough.

The respawn happens and the next 5 minutes are a killing field.  guys are moving up to attack the tape line, but they don't quite understand where I am at and where Shockman is at.  The more forward on the tape line they move the easer the shots become for me.  Eventually they overran our side and pinched me and Wes out.  Timmy hot shot out a little before the respawn.  He was playing aggressive and pushing hard the whole time.  We call it a day until the final battle. 

It was a mild version of Living Legends and was based around the castle. I walk in a bit late with Koss on my 6 and we move up the field.  We push the enemy back to their side of the field and own the castle and everything else.  Koss and I are on the east tape line right up front.  Basically I spent the whole hour drawing fire and shooting guys.   It was glorious!  finally I get shot and am out of paint and air and start making flag runs.  The rest of MWB had flexed West to swing and draw some fire since the one flag owned by the red team was right in front of me.  however the refs stopped them from moving up and destroying the red team. 

Even with us being so dusty, I think everyone has improved in their play.  Guys brought it hard and I was impressed with everyone.  I am not sure how or why, but I think all of our guys are better on the field than I remember. 

It was truly a blast.  Radio lunch negotiations, campfire food, the coldest shower from running water I have ever taken, cold nights, awesome paintball, and great friends.  The campfire times were awesome.  There are so many individual qualities that each guy brings to this team.

It's late and I am tired, but I will post up later about some of the things I noticed and appreciated this weekend.  I can't wait for our next trip.
"To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart."  - A.W. Tozer

Eagle {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
Had an amazing weekend with you guys, huge thanks to Taylor for the encouragement in getting me to come out. I was sad that it was so short but it was awesome nonetheless. Thanks to Phoenix for letting me use his gun when mine went down a few times (that's what happens when you don't touch your gun for a few years), as well as the rest of you for an eventful time.
The Eagle has landed

Phoenix {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:29:10 PM »
Some pictures are up on the Sherwood facebook page. Got a team photo, one of us with the MVT pendant, and a solid shot of Hoot giving a suspicious glance at the camera.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:38:46 PM »
Some pictures are up on the Sherwood facebook page. Got a team photo, one of us with the MVT pendant, and a solid shot of Hoot giving a suspicious glance at the camera.

Thanks for heads up Phoenix.

Keeper of the Old Code.

Trek {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
With Billy the photographer going to LL11 this weekend I suspect the pic rollout to be slow.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
He just dropped a bunch more. Got some good pics of Phoenix and Shockman. Slick one of Theo too. Also had Bagel, Alpha and Trek in the mix. Maybe Uncle Nasty.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:07:32 PM by Hoot {MWB} »
Keeper of the Old Code.

The O {MWB}

• Co-Captain
  • Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
Did anyone happen to see any gear laying around the porta-potty nearest our campsite?   I believe the white rabbbit left some pods, paint, and a pod pack laying up against the tree and Kathy is wondering if we found any.
"To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart."  - A.W. Tozer

Phoenix {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
I found one pod full of paint inside the jon Saturday night. Didn't see anything outside.

Hoot {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
I didn't see or notice anything.
Keeper of the Old Code.

The O {MWB}

• Co-Captain
  • Council
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
This would have been Monday morning

ALPHA {MWB}

• Council
  • Legend
    • MSN Messenger - Loudmouth3927@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
Anyone know where the Mad Cow Bannner is at?
Alf
Alpha
Taylor
     But most of all....
            DADDY