News: SMF - Just Installed!
December 13, 2018, 03:21:08 PM

Author Topic: Paintball Marker Reviews: MWB Only  (Read 4905 times)

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paintball Marker Reviews: MWB Only
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
Ok, this thread is for honest reviews of paintball markers reviewed by MWB members only. Feel free to comment and ask questions, but please don't post reviews unless you are an official Boy.
Please post cost of gun new, and what it can be found for used.
Grades will be assessed in a 1-10 scale.
Pictures would be greatly appreciated as well as a list of any mods done to the "testing" gun.

Thanks guys, and let the reviews begin!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:19:31 PM by Slipps {MWB} »

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paintball Marker Reviews: MWB Only
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
Hey guys, I thought I would go first since I just posted this and am an avid gun trader lol. So I'm going to go over a few today that I've played with on the field.

CCI Phantom

8 inch CCI stock barrel
Vertical air with gas thru grip
Wevo Undercocking kit
Right side open class breach
.45 CCI frame

This gun is great, it's my primary. Accuracy is great with co2 as well as with HPA. I got around 250 shots of a 3.5 oz co2 tank and around 120 on a 13/3000 HPA tank. The only problems I have ever had with it is the TPC (tuned port compensator) getting stripped on the threads. This was before I knew to use the nylon set screw to keep it from getting stripped and it causes the gun to get 170's to low 200's over the chrono.
So far its very durable and Ive banged it into rocks, bunkers, trees, you name it and its kept on firing and its stayed accurate. Its also got a factory auto trigger which is great for laying down more paint.

Grade: 9

It got a 9 due to the fact that it is not absolutely consistent. For me, I get +/- 2-3 over the chrono, and the TPC strips easily, its also kind of a hassle to change velocity because you have to adjust it down the barrel, but once its set it stays there.

Cost: you can get bare bones Phantoms for as low as $170 new, but the anodized VSC Phantoms can cost up to $320.
You can pick up used Phantoms for as little as $100 and as high as around $400
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:22:26 PM by Slipps {MWB} »

dingle

• Veteran
  • "...seemingly living the American dream."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »
so is this bad boy for sale, bacause I might be interested, pending my income.

Slipps {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
heck no lol, this is just a review. this is the one gun I will never sell

Cowboy

• Legend
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dmorganpaintball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
slipps, are you sure its gotta be members only? cmon man, you and i are gun collectors.... PLEASE! LOL

dingle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »
heck no lol, this is just a review. this is the one gun I will never sell

I hate you, but yet I still love you.

dingle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
ok, the good ol Smart Parts Ion.  For some reason some people hate this gun, but can never give me a real reason why the gun is bad.

Here is my setup:
Ion, $120 brand new because they were just coming out with the next generation of ion's, so I got it cheap.

Trigger - havn't adjusted it, stock from factory
Internals - Bone stock
Barrel - stock barrel is pretty decent, puts any tippmann barrel to shame, but I threw on a lucky barrel (14 or 16 inches) 1 peice.  Super good barrel, its not quite as accurate or quiet as a Freak, but its pretty close and I noticed it has a lot more distance than any other Ion i have shot.
Mini drop forward with on / off

thats it.

Being a pump convert from a phantom, I can vouch for the accuracy.  Whether you like or hate Ions one thing is certain, it DOES ITS JOB.  Its an electro for dumb lazy people like me that dont want to tune, shim, lube, etc etc there gun.  I want to gas it up and go, and thats exactly what it does.  It has NEVER chopped a ball, even playing in a torrential downpour at UWL Oklahoma.  Although there are faster guns out there, it shoots fast enough, and could shoot faster if id mess with the trigger and stuff, but it doesn't matter, people have already mistaken me as the heavy because it can still lay down a consistent stream of paint.  Good enough.  So final thought, its a GREAT gun, if you get it knowing what to expect.  Its the tippmann 98 of electros.  Mine literally had standing water in it once and it STILL SHOT WELL.  It is accurate, shoots pretty fast, and is durable - can't ask for much more than that.  So autococker guys that for whatever reason scoff me for loving my Ion, remember that Im out there shooting people with it while you tune your's. I know because I have an autococker rusting apart on the floor of my 93 4-runner.

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
wanna get rid of said autococker? lol, and the reason people hate ions is b/c of the people that gave them a bad name when they came out. their a good lil gun, you just get tired of hearing " my UBER pwnage IOn is L337 and could pwn ur unL337 (insert high end electro here) because im a class 7 Sn1p3rz... WOOT... yup thats why we hate them

dingle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »
lol I hear ya.  But I beleive your dislike for the Ion is induced by the degrading state of middle class junior highers from the suburbs that spend way too much time on myspace and tricking out their said ion when they could just go out and buy a better gun.  So Im on the same page, but its not the Ion's fault, I blame city kids.  The autococker isn't a real gem, it was a cheap model from a particularly bad series, i think it was a sport or something?  I dont think you can even convert it to pump because of the body.

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
thats what i meant bout the 13 year old ollie langs lol... they shoot just fine, heck i got one for my GF b4 her freestyle... nothing wrong with em, some folks just need to realize, no matter how much lipstick ya put on a pig, its still a pig! lol

Woody {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »
The Ion can be a destroyer of the other teams hopes and dreams. But when you spend $600 on upgrades your just being an idiot. I mean come on you dont even need to buy an ion you can just buy the upgrade parts and piece it together and never own anything from smart parts.

ION Pro Review.

I had this gun for about 18 months so I got a good idea how it performs. So what was the difference between the ion and the ion pro? Simple a freak jr. barrel, q lock feedneck, drop, and an on off asa. This gun can shoot very well with the propper settings. I paid $175 for it used.

The freak jr. is a minimal porting version of the freak barrel. I comes with a .693 insert and uses standard freak inserts.

The q lock feedneck is just a simple clamping feedneck. Nothing special about it. It didnt fit my pinokio however. The pinokio's feedneck was too wide.

The drop is just the smallest drop/rail smart parts makes. Nothing special there. The on/off asa is just BAD though. It doesnt allow alot of air flow and cause 99% of the issues I had with this gun.

All in all once its tuned correctly this gun can rip.

NEXT GUN

SASHA!!!!!

Bob Long Vice. You will never get me to sell this gat. Its my baby.

Features:
.691 14 inch Barrel
lever locking feedneck
s class non bearing trigger
Tadao Ryugin or M8 board
4c eye capable

This thing shoots amazing. It took a little time to break in but once that was done wow thats one crazy killin maching. I of course added a couple features like the 4c eyes, violent trigger, and cam drive on/off asa. But its amazing stock too. The milling is amazing, the performance is top notch, and the efficiency is above and beyond the compatition.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:46:37 PM by Woody {MWB} »
Mike Phillips: "Pound for pound - Bob Long Vice, one of the best guns on the market...ever! This gun is absolutely absurd."

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
Ever thought about doin the bearing mod to ur vice? Maybe magnetic trigger return? And thos 4c eyes are nice aren't they? Ill have to let ya try my Marq out sometime, or my Dark timmy, or my alias timmy...

Woody {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:26:22 PM »
The violent products trigger is a double bearing trigger. I added the rendition magnet trigger kit to that trigger too. The 4c eyes are great when I play semi, they seem to add a couple bps when I rip on it and the stream of paint seems to be more consistant. Its hard to notice any difference in ramping or full auto though. I like the alias, the dark always looked silly to me.  Marqs are pretty good, but bob is always coming out with some fancy new engine for them. Makes it abit confusing at times.
Mike Phillips: "Pound for pound - Bob Long Vice, one of the best guns on the market...ever! This gun is absolutely absurd."

Cowboy

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
i like the continued development on their products though. and i didnt notice the violent products trigger listed lol, just saw the s class. and i love magnetic return triggers, sooo snappy and smooth. the darks arent silly! lol. i like the looks of em lol

Grim {MWB}

• Muddy Water Boy
  • Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 02:57:32 AM »
X7 Phenom

The Tippmag!

Built roughly off of the x7 base, it is quite sturdy, lighter, and smaller.  It's fairly accurate with an 8" barrel, and trying this new 12" J&J Barrel at UWL Texas will be fun (pending us actually getting the lapco sponsorship, which i'm not counting on anymore).

With my ninja 90/4500 tank, I can shoot more than 3/4 of a case of paint due to it's lower than normal for tippmann air pressure (just don't take out too many shims or your automatic fire doesn't have as much ghusto).  i really haven't messed with it near enough, but the settings (dwell and all that) are super easy to change, it's pretty easy to tear apart and rebuild, and it makes woody mad :).  it's occasionally chopped paintballs (though the lapco barrel is pretty much self cleaning) but i think that's mainly due to the quality of paint i was using and the age of the paint.  I'll be changing the dwell for Texas (dropping it a few from the 10 it's currently set at) and will give feedback after that.

I love the fact that it uses a 9-volt for full-auto, and if the battery dies, you can still use it in mechanical mode and fire as fast as your fingers can fire.  The trigger feels real solid and it's a big step up from the x7 in my opinion.

Right now, I give it an 8.5/10 due to it's tippmann reliability with a 'maggish' internals scheme.